Thursday, September 8, 2011

Trip to China (part 8), Jinan, a short visit and college reunion

In front of a spring water pond/swimming pool.
Although I always consider Qingdao my hometown, I actually lived more years in Jinan, capitol of Shandong province, than in Qingdao. All but one of my elementary school years, middle and high school, plus 6 years of teaching job after college graduation.

Oh, hard to believe that I haven't been back to Jinan since I left China for U.S. 13 years ago. In my memory, Jinan was dirtier than Qingdao, but not this time. The tourist attraction that we visited was renovated several years ago; it was cleaner than what I had remembered and was expanded and managed much better. We went with my friend's family. The kids had fun wading in the cool spring water. James managed to get himself all wet.

Jinan is known as the City of Spring Water, with a long and rich history. Within the old city boundary, there are still many spring wells, bubbling with fresh water. People coming from areas with bad-tasting drinking water often comment on how sweet the water here tastes. I didn't understand it when I was young, until I went to Shanghai once. Oh boy, did the water there tasted awful.

The most famous spring in Jinan.

There are many fish in the pond.

The boys with a relative, a cousin. 
With my friend's son.

Reunion with my college classmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment