Friday, September 30, 2011

A day in our home school, and some thoughts

We've just completed 4 weeks of schooling. I have not started James on kindergarten yet, so Daniel is the only student. As said at the start of the school year, I was and still am NOT well prepared at all; more subjects and chores need to be added. As a result, school has been quite relaxed for my student. I chose Ambleside Online (short for AO) curriculum which implement Charlotte Mason's educational philosophy.

Morning routine: He is a having a hard time following the routine (get up, get dressed, put away PJ, make bed, and come to breakfast), and I'm tired of reminding/nagging him. There got to be a better way to train this. I had used rewards before with some success, but it was short lived.

Bible reading:  After breakfast, it starts around 8:30 to 9:00. Daniel and I take turns reading selected passages from the Bible, while James doodles in his salt box. The passage is relatively short, 20-30 verses at most. We would have a brief discussion and a word of prayer afterwards.
After putting away Bibles, I have the boys recite Pledge of Allegiance in the kitchen. The magnetic U.S. flag on our refrigerator door comes in handy.

Between 9:00 and 9:30, we start Math at the kitchen table. I'm trying to keep it short at 15-20 min. Singapore Math (2B) Standard Edition is our textbook. Daniel likes math but his math facts became quite rusty after the long summer break.

Depending on the day of the week, next comes History, Literature, History Tales/Biography, Geography, or Science. Each lesson takes about 15-20 min, but sometimes drags longer. I read most of the books to Daniel, or have him listen to audio book, then he narrates to me what he remembers. I place him in Year 2 in AO curriculum.

I simply love those living books (not textbooks) used in this curriculum! Some I have read myself but many I have not.  About a year ago, it was an "Aha" moment when the living book idea was introduced to me while I was reading about Charlotte Mason's educational philosophy. I thought to myself, "It makes perfect sense! Aren't those books labeled by my parents as leisure or pleasure books (闲书) living books?" The limited amount of "leisure books" that I loved to read as a child were forbidden or discouraged by my parents because they were not textbooks and were considered useless for getting good grades. OK, here are some of the books that Daniel is reading with me now: A Child's Story of the World, This Country of Ours, Little Duke, Trial and Triumph, Pilgrim's Progress, Understood Betsy, and Tree in the Trail.

Usually I'm only able to do two readings before lunch, partly because both the teacher and the student is still learning this new way of schooling/learning, but mostly, I suspect, because we have a long way to go regarding character training and habit forming. Compared to academics, these are much much harder. I feel that I desperately need to be trained to be the trainer.

Noon is lunch time. Lunch is and has to be simple. Leftover dishes if there is any. Fried rice with scrambled egg. Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich. Microwaved  dumpling. Microwaved chicken nugget. While we eat  or prepare to eat, we listen to Radio Reading Circle on Family Radio. Current reading is a biography of Nate Saint, the missionary hero who laid down his life for reaching the unreached tribal people.

No formal schooling in the afternoon right now. Besides his piano practice and very few chores, Daniel has the afternoon for free reading and free play. He's very into Lego's now.

James is mostly on his own while I do lessons with Daniel in the morning. He is very good at entertaining himself, wandering from room to room exploring or digging stuff out. Feeling a bit guilty of having neglected him, I would read to him or play with him for while in the afternoon.

While the boys are having free play or free reading time, I do housework, check emails, and do reading and planning for home school.  The challenge is how to prioritize all the tasks. Several weeks ago, a minister in his sermon used this quote: "You are what you think." Come to think about it, my choices do depend upon what I deem as essential or pressing. Seems that I need to clarify my thinking now because judging from my doings my thinking is not very clear. :(

 I try to have a quiet time with the Lord after lunch clean up, while with a full stomach sometimes it becomes a drowsy time. ".. but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better,..." But alas, I have the Martha blood running deep in me. Running around doing all sorts of things, or sitting here reading and planning and scheduling; that's what I do so naturally. It takes the Supernatural to transform me to be a Mary.

So far, I wouldn't call any of our school days easy. Oh, maybe except for Fridays, which are reserved for P.E. with Dad and outside activities (choir, library trip, and piano lesson). Sometimes I became quite frazzled and the kids knew it too. Nevertheless, I will not trade any of these days (not even the bad days) with our old days.

5 comments:

  1. Daixin thank you so much for sharing your journey, I've really loved reading your blog posts!! I think the struggles you are having are very normal for all homeschooling families, mine included. Something I would suggest for the morning chores or something visual posted on his door, or other place. For example take a picture of him doing each task then place it in order on a poster. This really helps keep kids on track with multi-step chores.

    My son is in AO year 2 as well (and the other son in kindergarten.) We will have a very difficult year trying to complete our year in the middle of our adoption! Another suggestion with James is first, don't feel guilty! And second is really only a few areas are needed with him, handwriting practice, which coloring if he likes that can help develop the same muscles. Math practice with perhaps a very simple curiculum, Singapor has two workbooks (A and B) for kindergarten that didn't require a teacher's manual we used with my oldest. Phonics which as long as he knows his letter sounds, you can begin with easy readers, I loved to use BOB books or Phonics Practice Readers form the library, only a few minutes a day goes a long way! The last thing is read-out-loud time with him, which we loved doing the complete Winne the Pooh and Beatrix Potters series when Jaden was that age. And of course time outdoors. :)

    You, don't even have to do everyone of these things everyday. I try and work with my kindergartener during the 2nd graders handwriting or reading time. Hang in there, it will get easier, I've heard the first year is a lot of learning more about each other and how to function with homeschooling.

    May the Lord richly blessing you all this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashley for your encouragement and advice! It's very timely help for me.

    I'll look into Singapore math for K. I have the first set of BOB books and am using it on and off with my 5 yo. Will consider getting other sets.

    Oh, I love your adoption story! Such an inspiring and beautiful story that brings Glory to God! Against all odds and mountains were moved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daixin,

    Thanks for having me over today. I enjoyed chatting with you. Not having parenting experience myself but having taught Sunday School for quite a few years in my younger days and some public school teaching experience, I think you're doing great. It's very hard to teach 2 kids in different grades and to keep their attention.

    For Daniel to get into that morning routine, maybe you can set an alarm (if he doesn't already have one) that plays a cheerful song, and then after he gets up, set a timer that will go off (and which counts down time) so that he will have to keep track of how long it's taking him to get ready for school and then to get to breakfast. This is just a suggestion, that way, Daniel has to answer to the clock and not to you and then you don't have to nag, you can just point out that he needs to move faster (if he's running behind) by pointing to the count down clock. =)

    Basically, that "life" is dictating that he has to get up and get ready, not that "mom" is the one making him get up, then he can't resent you. Some day he'll thank you for the discipline you're instilling in him. =)

    I really admire your courage and sacrifice to home school your boys, it is great that you can have bible reading time with them precisely b/c you're the teacher.

    The living books curriculum sounds so interesting, much more so than learning out of textbooks, I'll have to read about this philosophy. Thanks for sharing with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Joyce for your encouraging words and the suggestion! I enjoyed chatting with you too!

    I have at least two timers in the house (they don't play cheerful songs though), but I haven't thought of using one for Daniel's morning routine. I actually tired it this morning and it worked better than mom's nagging!

    If you're interested in the living book curriculum, may I recommend a book [For the Children's Sake]? It introduced me to Charlotte Mason and her educational philosophy. It's truly an eye opener for me, making me re-think the nature of children and what education really is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Daixin, I have been reading your blog since you put the link there. I tried so hard to join in the yahoo group, but I never got accepted. But luckily my husband had one before, so I got the info from him about the update of the group. I am a Chinese and my husband is an American, Christian. two kids, girl is 5 and boy is 3 1/2. We just start homeschool at Texas. I really want to have a Chinese homeschool group or company. but it is hard for me. The other chinese don't understand what I am doing even christian. They just think I am following the Americans. I feel lonely some time. Anyway, it is good to read your blog. haha..
    have you read the Chinese book you 妈妈老师--一百位華人母親挑戰在家教育
    is it worthwhile to buy?
    Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete