Monday, September 12, 2011

Mid-Autumn Festival

A walk of the whole family toward community park after dinner. The sun has just set, leaving subtle and soft hues of pink, blue, and purple above the horizon. Temperature is just right. A very pleasant walk under the twilight.

Tonight is Mid-Autumn Festival. As we were looking at the bright round moon ascending from East, several Chinese poems that I had memorized as a child came back to my mind. I recited two of the most familiar ones to my boys on the way back home. Daniel got the basic idea of the first one after my explanation, but showed no interest to Su-Shi's poem. Hope one day that my children could know the language well enough to appreciate the beauty of these poems.

Oh, we did had moon cake after our walk.


静夜思 
李白 
床前明月光,疑是地上霜。 
举头望明月,低头思故乡。 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
水调歌头 苏轼(北宋)
丙辰中秋,欢饮达旦,大醉,作此篇,兼怀子由。
  明月几时有,把酒问青天。
  不知天上宫阙,今夕是何年。
  我欲乘风归去,又恐琼楼玉宇,高处不胜寒。
  起舞弄清影,何似在人间。
转朱阁,低绮户,照无眠。
不应有恨,何事长向别时圆?
人有悲欢离合,月有阴晴圆缺,此事古难全。


  但愿人长久,千里共婵娟。 

I am by no means a fan of pop music, but I like this song which took the poem as its lyric.
     但願人長久-王菲

2 comments:

  1. I just saw your post on Ambleside Yahoo group and thought I'd look at your blog. Wow and congratulations to your profile! So many new things in your life! I'm also a Chrisitan and stay at home, homeschooling mom (none of it new anymore). I love Ambleside and Charlotte Mason education. Glad to meet you, Daixin.

    Lanaya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lanaya,

    Glad to meet you too!! Thank you for stopping by and for your prompt reply to my post at AO Yahoo group! It's very helpful advice.

    I have the book [When Children Love to Learn] on my wish list for quite a while, but hesitated to buy it as I was not sure if it's worth the money and time. Now the book is moving to my shopping cart at my next purchase.

    ReplyDelete