Friday, September 9, 2011

First day and first week of school

My two students holding handwritten signs.
I really haven't had the details panned out for the brand new school year for our homeschool when we started on  Tuesday, September 6, the day after Labor Day. I feel that I have to start with something and then add and adjust as we go.  If I don't start until all the planning and scheduling is done, I'm afraid that it probably will never start!

Anyway, week 1 has passed and I haven't lost all my hair ;). I stayed up till midnight everyday this week though, just to get ready for the next day. No, I'm not doing a whole of things with my students. In fact, for now we're only doing school in the morning. I need to add more subjects (Bible study, handwriting, nature/science, geography, Chinese, art, music, and handicraft).

Even for the subjects that Daniel is doing (math, literature, history, poem), I have not got the weekly schedule worked out yet. Oh, I have not even gathered all the books needed. I don't know how to use narration more effectively for his learning.  There is so much to do! Not to mention that I want and need to read Charlotte Mason's original educational series to really understand her educational philosophy. Yes, I do feel a bit anxious, but thankfully not overwhelmed. Because in spite of all these "not"s, Daniel is showing a love for learning, which is so precious.
Daniel working on math.

James working on math.


And let's not forget about James. He loves to learn too! I'm only doing minimal "schooling" with James, Math 15 mins a day using a simple math workbook that teaches numeral 1 to 10. Phonics (15 min a day): Noah Webster's Reading Handbook and the first set of Bob book. Besides, I do as much as possible read-out-aloud with him, in both English and Chinese.


Snack time of the first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment