Saturday, March 15, 2014

Year of the Horse -- Chinese New Year

January 31, 2014, was Chinese New Year (Lunar New Year). It happened to be a Friday.

I actually hosted a Chinese New Year's Party in my house! I definitely am not the hostess type. Even the thought of planning a party stressed me out. However, being the only Chinese family in my homeschool circle, somehow I felt obliged (to my children) do something for the most important Chinese holiday.

All guests were my and my children's homeschool friends. Now the advantage of not having other Chinese families at the party was that I did not need to worry too much about food. Including my family, there were a total of 8 adults and 13 kids. I would love to invite Chinese friends too. But, were I to invite same number of Chinese friends over, oh my, I would not have known what to do. I probably would not dare to invite because most of them are gourmand and most are better cooks than I am. Anyway, I was very thankful that the party was a success. There was plenty of food and drink. Some of the guests had a fun time doing "jian zhi" (剪纸), a Chinese paper cutting craft.

Like on so many other occasions, I forgot to take pictures. These were taken after the guests left.



jian zhi of a horse


No comments:

Post a Comment