Sunday, February 12, 2012

One small act of service

 I've never been good at managing our household chores. Lacking a system to make sure that chores are done in an orderly manner, I'm always busy but often distracted by the hundred and one other tasks that are calling my attention. So it's no surprise that the chore training of my children has been inconsistent and unfruitful. If you have children, you know that it's so much easier to just do it yourself than to train (i.e., motivate/bribe/nag) them to do any chore.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to clean the toilet. As I was gathering the supply and putting on gloves, Daniel saw me and said, "Mom, I will help you." And he did help by scrubbing the toilet.  If this is not THE first voluntary offer of help, it is the first in a long time.

This small act of willing service really warmed my heart and blessed my day, especially from my son who often groans and whines and drags for the simple task of swiping the kitchen floor (our kitchen is rather small, by the way).

2 comments: