Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas books for read-aloud

After the first term (or trimester) of our first school year finished last week, I was searching for good Christmas books to read to the boys. Below are a few favorite (more could be added as a few more books will be picked up from library next week):

The Advent Jesse Tree
We've been using this book for our Advent Jesse Tree devotion starting from December 1. Although it has been a challenge to have both Daniel and James sit, follow directions, and pay attention for 20 minutes, the book has helped me a lot by having scriptures, devotions, and even hymns for each day all in the same place.




An Orange for Frankie

A very sweet Christmas story that made me cry while reading it to my boys. We just read it for a second time tonight (Christmas Eve) while peeling and eating oranges, and it made my eyes moist again.







The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey

A simple yet beautiful and heartwarming story. Love the illustration too. I bought a copy, either to keep or to give away as a gift.







This is the Star

Read like a poem, constructed like "This is the house that Jack built". Very nice artwork too.







The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

We had the movie before I bought the book (both were from library book sale or garage sale, I believe), so we had watched the movie before  read the book. The movie did a pretty good job capturing the spirit of the book, but, not surprisingly we still found the book more enjoyable than the movie. It took me about a week to finish the read-aloud (one chapter a day).



The Light at Tern Rock

A beautiful story that keep you in suspense till the last chapter.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Daixin, I will have to remember to get those books to read to my little one when she's old enough to enjoy books. =)

    PS - had your lemon tart for breakfast... sooo yummy, thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, what a sweet picture that will be--holding and reading to your little baby girl... You might be surprised that babies as young as 3-4 month old can enjoy books read to them.

    Glad that you like my lemon bar.

    ReplyDelete